Yippeeeee! The first episode of TTT can be downloaded here. Also, there'll always be a revised tip card link in the shownotes for your download/printing convenience. I'm going to toy with the posting format over the next few shows so that it can be optimized for ease of access, but for now, here's the first one in the text body of this posting:
Regular Computer Maintenance
If you want your computer to run faster and more reliably, there are a few simple steps you can take to keep everything running smoothly.
1. Update virus protection. Set your computer to update protection when you logon to it in the morning. Select Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Security Center to do so. Shut your computer down when you leave and restart it when you arrive daily.
2. Backup. Backup your files weekly to another storage device, daily if you're working with very sensitive or irreplaceable data.
3. Get rid of Spyware. Run Spybot Search & Destroy and Immunize your computer from future downloads. Do this weekly.
4. Scan Your Disks. Double-click My computer on the Desktop, select C: drive, File, Properties, Tools, Check Now, Select Automatically Correct…, Start. This is a monthly task.
5. Defragment your drives. Select Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Defragmenter, select a drive, and click Start. Do this monthly.
6. Cleanup Unneeded Files. Choose Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Cleanup, choose a drive, select OK, and you'll see a list of various files that you can delete. Check the file types you want to remove (Temporary Internet Files, Temporary Files, Download Program Files) and click OK. Do this monthly.
Complete each task at the suggested intervals unless your computer is behaving badly. If your computer is running slowly or freezing, run through the whole list of tasks.
Music for this episode was created on the fly by moi on my little Casio keyboard. I have recently registered as both podcaster and musician at Podshow Music and I promise some great independent music, both as backgrounds and whole songs for your listening pleasure in future shows!!!
The following is just to post to my Odeo Channel.
My Odeo Channel (odeo/f1d460e56e820821)