TechTipTuesday

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

TTT10-- Google News Alerts

Ever since I stumbled upon Google News Alerts, I've been having fun checking up on Scott Merrick, the 19 year-old New Hampshire congressman and Scott Merrick, Inc., the Australian employment firm, not to mention the occasional random news item that actually has something to do with me, Scott Merrick (earliest existing picture of same exhibited at right).

That's because I visited www.google.com/newsalerts and signed up to be alerted by email whenever there's a Web news article containing the search terms "Scott" and "Merrick." I did so by enclosing both terms in quotation marks, or else I'd get an email whenever the word "Scott" appeared or the word "Merrick." I also keep an eye on a particularly long-running local murder case, on "educational podcasting," and on "videoconferencing." When the emails announcing news (or News and Web) appearances of these terms appear in my inbox, I either ignore them or click on them and read--my choice, not the local or national news media's. As Martha Stewart might say, "It's a good thing."

Listen to TTT number 10, download the printable .pdf file, and set yourself up to keep up (at your own pace and at your own discretion) with items, professional and/or personal, of your interest.

Music for today's podcast has been provided by the Podsafe Music Network. I've butchered up a really kickin' song called "And the Good News Is" for my own nefarious porpoises. Especially if you're interested in country music, you really owe it to yourself to click on the link for "Nashville Star survivor" Sean Patrick McGraw and discover more about him. Thanks for listening, and please take a minute to share the site with a friend! Just copy the link from your address bar and send it to 'em. The more the merrier!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home